History of POWERS CEMETERY
Newton County, Missouri
by Donna Jane Whitchurch
submitted by Diana Spencer
The cemetery location was originally one of the first pieces of land that Moses Powers and his father-in-law , Josiah Boyd purchased from the U. S. Government, when land was put up for private purchase of ownership in Newton County. The cemetery was established (informally) when a family was traveling through the area. A son became ill and died . The family asked Moses Powers for permission to bury their son in his field. This was the first burial where the cemetery is presently located. Moses Powers did not own the land when it was deeded as a public burial ground in 1881, on October 31 ; however several persons were buried there, by the time it was officially deeded. An engraved stone marks the first burial sight and reads:
"FIRST GRAVE PIONEER BOY 1852".